- 1.5-2lbs well smoked wild salmon
- 7oz creme fraiche
- 3-5oz black caviar ($4-$6 at Lucca’s Delicatessen in San Francisco)
- 1 Tbs mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs finely chopped shallots
- 1Tbs finely chopped chives
- 1 Tbs finely chopped cornichons or capers
- juice of one lime
- pinch of pepper – salt may not be necessary
Break down most of the smoked salmon, saving some slices for later. Combine all ingredients, except for the caviar, and mash it well with the broken down salmon to a mousse-like consistency.
Place slices of salmon on the bottom of a terrine dish. Next pour mousse on top of salmon. Now place the caviar on top of the mixture. Finish it off with slices of salmon on top of the caviar.
Cover with plastic wrap and let chill for at least 20 mins in the refrigerator. Present on platter with a baguette or country bread.